Trump Deals Major Blow to Canada, Imposes 50% Tariff on Canadian Products
Trade tensions between the United States and Canada have intensified after three days of negotiations between the two countries failed to produce a trade agreement. Following the unsuccessful talks, US President Donald Trump imposed a 50% tariff on $20 billion worth of Canadian goods, effective from midnight Saturday. Officials from the United States and Canada held three days of discussions in Washington, D.C., but were unable to reach a final trade agreement. Canadian Prime Minister Mark Carney said changes made by the US to the terms proposed during the final stage of negotiations were unfair and economically damaging. Carney also stated that Canada would respond in kind to US tariffs, indicating that Ottawa would impose equivalent measures in response to Washington's action. According to Carney, discussions between the two countries had improved over the past few weeks. However, Canada was unable to secure its key objectives. He said last-minute changes proposed by the United States raised questions about the credibility of reaching a potential agreement. The latest development comes after the United States had earlier announced that the new tariffs would take effect from August 20. Just before the deadline, the two countries decided to resume negotiations. President Trump subsequently extended the tariff deadline by three days to provide additional time for the talks to reach a possible conclusion. US officials had said that the two sides had reached agreement on several issues, but significant differences remained on some key matters. These included the automobile sector, market access for dairy products, alcohol trade and certain other business regulations. With the latest move, trade relations between the United States and Canada face renewed uncertainty, while both sides remain divided over several important areas of bilateral commerce.
Posted By: Daily Suraj Bureau